We have curated this simple natural recipe so that you may manufacture your own natural insect repellent using essential oil. This is ideal for warding off nasty mosquitoes, without the typical chemical additives and nasty scent. Let’s take a look at essential oils, how to make essential oil mosquito repellent recipe that works.
Due to their aversion to strong scents, mosquitoes stay away from plants including mint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, and citronella. These plants can also be grown in your yard close to your favorite gathering spots to deter pests.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils have been used for medicinal and therapeutic purposes by many cultures for thousands of years. They continue to acquire appeal as a healthy, secure, and cost-effective therapy for a variety of health issues because of their analgesic, activating, purifying, antibacterial, antiviral, and soothing characteristics.
Essential oils are far more powerful than only applying the plant itself. Little amounts are effective.
Why Use Essential Oils As a Mosquito Repellent?
Essential oils not only have a fragrance that repels mosquitoes, but they also operate as a natural pesticide by sucking moisture from them, killing them over time. If done correctly, applying essential oils as a mosquito repellent is effective.
The potency of essential oils must be considered, though. They are dangerous if a baby mistakenly ingested them and can irritate and trigger allergies in those with sensitive skin.
How To Make Mosquito Repellent With Essential Oil
Essential oils and a liquid base are the main ingredients in mosquito repellent formulations. Make your own homemade mosquito repellent by following these steps:
Essential Oil DIY Mosquito Repellent Spray: What You Need
- 30 drops of citronella essential oil
- 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 25 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 20 drops of tsp lemongrass essential oil
- 25 drops of mint (preferably peppermint) essential oil
- 5 ounces of distilled water
- ½ ounces pure witch hazel
- 5 oz glass spray bottle (amber or blue,)
If you want to add more different kinds of oils, just add a little less of each one. Similarly, if you want the mixture to be lighter, add fewer drops.
1. If you want to repel mosquitoes from your house or yard, combine the essential oils with pure water and emulsify them with a small amount of witch hazel. Don’t miss this step or your oils won’t dissolve in the water; they’ll merely float on the surface of it.
2. Fill the spray bottle with the ingredients. Mixing the mixture a little bit is all that needs to be done. How much simpler could this be? Before each usage, shake the bottle because the oils and liquid will eventually separate over time.
3. To repel mosquitoes, sprinkle this mixture on the lawn, outside, or all around the house.
Note: Some essential oils can be harmful to animals, particularly cats. We advise staying away from locations where your pets will be if you have one.
Depending on the blend of oils, the DIY mosquito repellent spray may also work as a natural mosquito repellent. For instance, lavender essential oils repel gnats, flies, and ticks.
Where to buy Essential oil mosquito repellents
There are tons of essential oils available at major and minor supermarts and pest shops. Some of the ones you can find on Amazon are listed below:
- Edens Garden Bug Bite Relief Essential Oil Synergy Blend
- Desert Essence Relief Spray
- Fabulous Frannie Bug Away Essential Oil
Before applying sprays or any other mosquito control measures, we strongly advise speaking with an exterminator if you believe you have a major mosquito issue. Your mosquito problem will become worse if it is used improperly.