Is bed bugs dangerous to health? Bed bugs do not endanger human health, despite their presence. It’s doubtful that bed bugs may spread disease to people. Bed bug bites can occasionally result in secondary illnesses.
How to recognize a bed bug bite
Bed bug bites are simple to identify because they typically come in groups or lines. Furthermore, it might be challenging to distinguish bed bug bites from flea or mosquito bites. Read our article on “Early signs of bed bugs” for a more thorough list.
Every time a bed insect bites, the affected region becomes bloated, red, and has a dark red core. The bugs’ saliva, which acts as a numbing agent while they eat, causes the marks.
As a result of persistent scratching, an allergic reaction to bed bug bites can cause swelling and discomfort in the area of the bite.
Bed bugs and your health
Bed bugs have not yet been shown to do anything more detrimental than give you the heebie-jeebies, unlike many other pests and insects. However, that does not imply that people should disregard them as unimportant.
Those who already have allergies and asthma have also been demonstrated to be made worse by bed bugs. Their bites are typically only itchy and bothersome. Each person, however, responds differently.
Potential health dangers of bed bugs
The majority of people dislike bed bugs. Additionally, dealing with pests can be a tremendous pain. However, disregarding an infestation could make it more difficult to eventually get rid of the pests. Any delay could also be harmful to your bodily or mental well-being.
Think about these justifications for why it helps to pay attention to bed bug symptoms:
- Some people may experience severe reactions from bed bug bites. There have been some instances of severe and frequently lethal reactions known as anaphylaxis.
- Those who have gone through an infestation may develop mental health concerns. People may experience anxiety, systemic responses, and insomnia even after the bed bugs have been eliminated.
- It’s frightening to think of bed bugs. Without ever noticing a bug, people can be continuously attacked while they sleep. Anxiety episodes are frequently experienced by victims during the day.
- Delusional parasitosis is a psychiatric illness that frequently causes sufferers to have hallucinations of bugs crawling on them. They might also start noticing bugs everywhere.
- There may be a problem with insomnia. With insufficient sleep and episodes of severe anxiety, the victim frequently loses their ability to concentrate during the day, which has other unfavorable effects.
Who is at risk of getting bed bugs at home
Bed bugs are easily transferred into a person’s home through clothing, used beds and bedding, furniture, or bags by anyone who comes into close touch with them. Bed bug issues have been observed in even top-tier hotels, proving that infestations are not always related to unhygienic living circumstances.
Contrary to popular belief, anyone can become infested with bed bugs. This is because unhygienic behaviors are not the cause of bed bugs.
Is there any treatment for bed bug bites
Most of the time, bed bug bites heal on their own; usually within a week. However, using a moderate steroid cream, such as hydrocortisone lotion, may be helpful. This is available from a drugstore over the counter or with a prescription.
Antihistamines may be helpful if your bites are exceptionally critical, such as extremely itchy and keeping you awake at night. Additionally, antihistamine tablets can be purchased from a pharmacy.
Your doctor will prescribe antibiotic cream or pills to treat the illness if your bites get infected. If the area around the bites is turning red or is becoming really painful, see a doctor.
Although bed bug bites may not pose a medically significant risk to one’s health right away, they might cause subsequent infections if scratched bites are not treated and sterilized. Additionally, there is a possibility that exposure to a bed bug infestation can lead to psychological problems for some people, including increased tension, worry, and difficulty sleeping.
Contact a doctor if you get an infection brought on by a bed bug encounter. For efficient bed bug control treatments, enlist the help of a reputable pest control professional.